Church Music Director
Grace Presbyterian Church (PCUSA), an active mid-sized congregation in Jenkintown, PA, is seeking a faithful, gifted, enthusiastic individual to lead a well-established music program. Duties include overseeing the entire music program (including children’s choirs and bell choir, which have their own conductors, and the organist), directing the adult choir, increasing the variety of musical styles and ensembles utilized in worship, and expanding the participation of the congregation in the music ministry.
Candidates should have a mature and growing Christian faith, a degree in music, experience in choral conducting, and a sense of calling to church music ministry.
Position is 30 hours/week with benefits, to begin summer 2018. Please send cover letter, resume, and references by April 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The complete position description is below.
Position Title: Director of Music
Purpose: To provide spiritual, musical, and organizational leadership for the music program at Grace Presbyterian Church, to the end that a variety of music styles will enable inspired and inspiring worship for the congregation.
Hours: 30 hours/week (on site 25 hours/week, including Sunday mornings)
Accountability: The Director of Music is accountable to the Pastor as Head of Staff and to the Session through the Personnel Committee.
- Along with the Pastor and Worship Team, develop and execute a new vision and strategy for the music program, in line with the mission of the church.
- To oversee, support, and coordinate all music groups of the church
- To direct the Chancel Choir, including scheduling music, leading rehearsals, and conducting on Sunday mornings during the choir season and at special services.
- To direct an informal inter-generational choir that rehearses and sings in worship on an occasional basis.
- To develop and coordinate new programs, in order to engage a broad cross-section of the congregation in the music ministry
- To oversee and direct the recruitment of singers for the Chancel Choir, informal inter-generational choir, and other music groups of the church
- To develop volunteers, with special attention to their musical and spiritual growth and their relationships with one another
- To supervise and facilitate the work of directors of other choirs (e.g., bell choirs, children’s choirs)
- To recruit and prepare instrumental soloists and ensembles to participate in worship services as appropriate.
- To develop and manage the music budget.
- To collaborate with the pastoral staff in planning worship services.
- To supervise the organist, maintaining a creative, collaborative, collegial relationship
- To attend the weekly church staff meeting and the monthly Worship Team meeting, and meet at least weekly with the Pastor.
- To provide counsel for the music components of the children’s ministry (e.g., VBS, Christmas musical).
- Provide administrative leadership for the music program, including (but not limited to):
- Developing and maintaining the annual music budget
- Overseeing proper care of choir robes and library of choral and handbell music;
- Scheduling maintenance of organ and pianos (except Nursery School piano);
- Overseeing the Child Protection Policy as it applies to the music program.
- Maintaining the music library
- Oversee music-related communications, including newsletter submissions, annual report, bulletin information, etc.